Friday, August 8, 2008

This is coming to you straight from the streets of Vienna, marking city numero tres on the summer tour schedule.

Last night I took the night train from Berlin. This time I had a reserved seat in one of those little compartments instead of a standing room only ticket (upgrade!) but actually it was a downgrade. When I boarded in Berlin there were already three German people, two men and a woman, sitting in my compartment. The first thing they did was ask me if I was in the right place (yay they speak English!), because, you know, these are reserved seats. I proudly told them I was and sat down. I was trying to be nice to them (aka smiling and looking in their direction silently because I don't speak a lick of German), but instead they ignored me and held a hour and a half long mighty interesting-looking conversation in Deutsch while sipping on the wine that this woman busted out halfway through (no, I was not offered any, even though I am of age on this damn continent). So they left at a town called Leibniz, and a couple boarded the compartment in their place.

Both of these two were speaking in English and were slightly younger, so I thought maybe it wouldn't be as bad. There were six seats in the compartment, two rows of three facing each other, and I was sitting in a window seat. Immediately upon entering, this couple folds down the four seats away from the window, creating two beds (tricky, I didn't know you could do that). But now I'm sitting there reading my Rick Steve's and these two damn lovebirds have folded out a complete double bed between me and the door. Ok there was no lovemaking going on per se, but there was way to much pecking and caressing going on for me to fall asleep comfortably. There is a scene in the movie (I won't say film) EuroTrip in a train compartment with a creepy Italian guy. That's all I could think about as I tried to count sheep as fast as I could. 9 hours later and in a new country it was all over, but my eyes had gained a bag or two and I felt dirty, and not only because I had missed a shower.

Stepping off the train in Vienna and seeing my sister was great. This trip has been awesome so far and I'm learning and seeing so much it's hard to keep up. But I have been alone up until now and at some point you say to yourself (maybe aloud in public if you are that deep into it) ''who the hell are all these people. There is not a single person I know for thousands of miles. Damn.'' So, needless to say, my sister brought me back from the brink a little bit. It's kinda your loss though because this blog would have gotten pretty damn interesting if I had actually lost it.

We spent the day exploring this city and getting acquainted with its style. It is a nice style too. Vienna is all about kicking back in a cafe and reading the paper for like all day. I think people work here, but the only person I saw working was the one guy waiting tables, and he seemed to be pretty laid back as well.

The one real event on the schedule was a trip to Sigmund Freud's apartment, which is now a nice little museum in his honor. As I have recently decided to become a Psychology major, this guy is supposed to be my hero. Good thing too, because he turned out to be pretty awesome. This apartment was his home and practice for a good portion of his life, sitting at the window, smoking cigars, telling everybody what their dreams mean, and being a total genius. At the end of his life he emigrated to London, right before the Nazis came in sending the entire continent into one of those decades that you would just rather skip over completely. I'm thinking about getting a big Siggy poster for my dorm room next year, right next to Jimmy Page and Darren Collison.

Maya and I are spending the night in a hip, little hostel, right off the Viennese Time Square. By far the cleanest and most spacious place I have yet to stay in, which Maya tells me is pretty impressive.

Tomorrow we are off to Budapest. This is where it gets crazy. Budapest is barely in the EU (I think they just joined in the last 5 years), they don't use the Euro, and they speak Hungarian, which I hope to master in the 48 hours we are in the country. Going to this city will be a test of our travel skills, but I think we can pull it off.

Ok more news coming tomorrow (if they have internet access in Hungary).

By the way, our Spanish is really improving on this trip, unfortunately everyone here in Austria is too busy sipping coffee to respond when I say, ''donde esta la biblioteca?''

No comments: